Electric safety tips for kids at home
We all have worries about our kids from the day they are born… and we may think we are safest when at home. But did you know that the home and yard where they play may actually present more hazards when it comes to electricity than you think?
Here are some things you can do about it:
- Store electrical appliances and gadgets out of reach of children.
- Never keep any appliance near a bathtub, sink or any other water source.
- Make sure all the electrical wires and cords are away from the gas or any other source of heat.
- Avoid having any appliance switched on and then leaving it as it is in the presence of your kid.
- Make sure you unplug the appliance before cleaning it.
- Keep small objects out of reach- children tend to plug them into the sockets.
- Cover open sockets that are within a kid’s reach. Most kids tend to stick fingers into the outlet, which may be risky.
- Remove unused wall outlets.
- Apply tape over unused electric plug holes or cord holders.
- Do not allow your little one to go near the vicinity of power lines.
- Keep your kids away from electrical substations and transformers.
- Ensure your kids are not climbing any trees that may be close to power lines as these lines conduct electricity through the branches.
- Strings of flying kites or helium filled balloons can act as conductors of electricity. Watch out for your kids when they are playing with kites in a storm or anywhere around electric cables.
- Watch out for fences, which may conduct electricity.
- Always encourage your children to play out in the open area where there are no power lines
- It is preferable that you supervise your kids when they play with a remote control or any other electrical devices.
- Ensure your children get dry quickly when they come out of the pool.
- Avoid usage of electrical appliances when close to swimming pools.
- Make sure they are away from utility boxes as they have various electric connections inside
- Watch out for electrical lines that may be hanging low or may be cut.
- When playing ball or when playing with pets make sure your kids are not near any electric substations.
- As an adult do watch out for electric lines when using a ladder, chainsaw or other outdoor equipment.
Of course, a great way to make sure you and your family are safe is to leave the electric in the hands of professionals. Call the experts at Mister Sparky and ask about our home safety inspection. If might just save a life!