June is National Homeownership Month… Make it a Safe One!
National Homeownership Month in June shines a spotlight on supporting the American Dream of homeownership. For homeowners in Bel Air, Aberdeen and the surrounding counties, it’s the perfect time to think about making safe and smart decisions when it comes to your home’s electrical system.
All too often disaster strikes in your home’s electrical system via power surges. These can come from a variety of sources… including a lightning strike. The damage from a power surge can include loss of expensive electronics in the home, such as computers or home entertainment systems, including that large-screen TV.
While a power surge may not seem like something that happens often enough to be top of mind, most households will experience one eventually, and so you don’t want to take them lightly.
What Is a Power Surge?
A power surge can be caused by an overloaded outlet or circuit, damaged wiring, lightning strikes, or plugging in a high-powered electrical device that can cause an energy spike.
In any of these cases, short but powerful surges of electrical voltage can travel throughout the home and affect any room or any appliance that’s plugged into an outlet.
Protecting your Home from a Power Surge
So, how do you protect yourself from a power surge? Typically, the larger your appliance, the stronger the surge protector needs to be. Overall, the minimal expense of buying a surge protector pales in comparison to that of replacing an electronic appliance or device that is damaged by a surge.
Whole House Power Surge Protection
For those who want to protect their entire homes, call the pros at Mister Sparky and learn about the benefits of installing whole house surge protectors that will safeguard everything in your home that’s plugged into any outlet. We can explain the best option for your home based on what you are seeking to protect.
So this June, stay safe in your home and protect your family and your belongings.
Consider an electric generator this spring
April showers bring May flowers. Of course, too often they also bring flooding, wind, and power outages. But what will you do when your power goes out? Call the electric company like everyone else and wait?
Why not just continue to live like you do when the power is on!
You can with a whole-house generator from Mister Sparky.
Storms can bring some pretty nasty winds and weather and leave you and your family with no heat, no air conditioning, and no power to keep your refrigerator cold or food in your freezer frozen.
Not to mention, spring storms can bring heavy rains, and unless you have a battery powered backup sump pump, your regular sump pump will have no electricity to pump out all of that excess water. Needless to say, power outages can be very uncomfortable and possibly very costly.
Why Should I Install a Standby Generator in My Home?
- Comfort: You will be able to stay cool in the summer or warm in the winter when a power outage stops your furnace or AC. Your standby generator will automatically kick on when it senses a break in the power.
- Convenience: Today’s generators sense when the power goes off and will start up and shut off automatically, leaving you one less thing to worry about during a nasty storm.
- Choice: You can power all or just a portion of your home during an outage. A home backup generator delivers power directly to your home’s electrical system, backing up your entire home or just the essential items like your furnace, AC, refrigerators, freezers, medical equipment, etc.
- Protection from Flooded Basements: It will also eliminate the threat of storm water getting into your home because your sump pump stopped working.
- Protection from Power Surges: When electricity is interrupted, it can surge back on suddenly, causing damage to electronics in your home including computers, TVs, and more. These may not be covered by insurance.
- Peace of Mind with Medically Dependent: If you have someone in your home who depends on electrically powered medical equipment, like oxygen tanks or ventilators, a standby generator can be a literal life saver.
- Rental Property: If you own a home that is not always occupied, a standby generator can prevent the temperature from dropping and causing frozen pipes in the winter. It can also keep food from spoiling in your refrigerator or freezer.
Ask your Mister Sparky experts about the ideal generator for your home. And put the power back in your own hands! Make your appointment today!