How to Protect Your House from an Electrical Fire
As the weather changes and we end up spending more time indoors, that raises the risk and dangers of electrical fires.
Electricity is something we tend to take for granted since it is present in virtually every aspect of our lives. But like many things in our home, it can pose a serious danger that a lot of people never really think about. Because we use it so much, it’s easy to forget all about its risk of a potentially deadly electrical fire.
What to do if you experience an Electrical Fire
It’s important to know what to do in case an electrical fire starts because they are not the same as traditional fires that are started by candles, matches and burning cigarettes.
What to do if an electrical fire starts in your home:
- If you know which device is causing the electrical fire, unplug it right away if you can safely reach the cord.
- Small electrical fires can be put out by depriving them of their oxygen source. You can do this by putting clothing or a heavy blanket on it if it’s safe.
- Do NOT pour water over an electrical fire. Why? Because, water naturally conducts electricity and when people throw water on electrical fires, they can be electrocuted or shocked. Additionally, water can make an electrical fire spread by conducting electricity to other places in the room, such as flammable curtains and couches.
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your home that’s designed for Class C fires; electrical fires are Class C. Most residential fire extinguishers are labeled ABC, but it’s critical to verify that an extinguisher is meant to put out Class C fires before you purchase one.
If you cannot extinguish an electrical fire, GET OUT of the house and make sure all of your family members and pets are removed from the house immediately. Close the door so the fire can be contained and call 911 after you’ve gotten a safe distance away from the fire. Do NOT go back into the house until after the firefighters have told you it’s safe to do so.
A great place to start is to have your professionals at Mister Sparky conduct a safety inspection of your home. We’ll pinpoint any hazardous issues we find and help you avert possible disaster!
Make an appointment today!